Thursday, November 24, 2011

David Allan's Birthday / Thanksgiving


      Behold, children are a gift of the LORD, The fruit of the womb is a reward. - Psalms 127:3 (NAS)


      Today is Thanksgiving and we have many things to be thankful for and should be thankful for – not only today but everyday. As it happens, this year Thanksgiving shares the day with my youngest son's birthday. As I look back to two years ago today this is what I remember.
  • In 2009 Thanksgiving was on November 26th and our midwife was anxious for us to have our baby so she could go celebrate thanksgiving about 5 hours or so away.
  • We had no certain due date to go on and our best guesses ranged from early October to early November. I was sure of November.
  • Anxious to get labor under way my wife had tried a few things without any luck. The midwife left some herbs or something to try and the thought of taking them must have been enough.
  • I think I knew contractions had started when I left for work that morning or I was made aware once I arrived at work by way of email.
  • While at work I kept in touch with my wife and around noon she said to come home – I did.
  • When I got home my wife was still sewing between contractions.
  • We called a friend over that wanted to be there for the birth and called the midwife to put her on standby.
  • After while we called the midwife back and said come and she arrived with about 15 minutes to spare
  • I think the cord was around the neck and the midwife was getting a little concerned that he didn't start breathing right away but all ended up fine and now we have a boy who's very much a boy starting his terrible two's early.

      Dear Lord, Thank you
  • For David Allan and the two years he's been with us
  • For all 7 of the children you have given us

  • For all the blessings you have sent our way

No comments: