Thursday, February 17, 2011

Calculators

    I picked her up to take her to the Christian Olympics and when it was done I brought her home, no problem other than the fact that she forgot her calculator in my car and needed it for a college class. The simple solution, stick it in a oversized envelope with an index card with a little bit of writing on it and mail to her. And so began my letter writing which lasted until I bought another calculator, another oversized envelope, wrote on another index card and mailed it to her right before we got married.
Over the years I've gone through quite a few of them from the simple ones that fit on a watch to more complex ones with more advanced features. Yes calculators are great and too often we just take it for granted that when we need to do some math there will be one around.

     Of course, there is still the old fashioned method of doing math with a piece of paper and a pencil. Several years ago at work I actually had to show someone how to do division with out a calculator... Amazing. Of course the calculator would have been faster.

      Dear Lord, Thank you
  • For the many things calculators can do for us
  • For that forgotten calculator so many years ago

No comments: