Monday, January 3, 2011

Linux

     The other day my Mom called to say Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. - What did I do? I overhauled her computer.

     Up until Christmas time when I did the work the computer had been running Windows XP, lot's of bloat-ware from when it was purchased, and had several other programs slowing it down that various grand kids had been putting on it. It was taking close to 10 minutes (In her terms) to start up and than it took a long time to do anything on it once it was ready. Furthermore, it was no longer communicating to the printer.

     To fix the problem I reformatted the hard drive and installed a different operating system on it. What I installed was UBUNTU - 10.10. As a result it boots up in about a minute, run much quicker, it communicates with the printer Does everything she needs it to do and no-one can install windows programs on it and slow it down.

     With this in mind I have several things to be thankful for.

Dear Lord, Thank you

  • For the Ubuntu community and all the work that goes into making Linux.
  • For making Ubuntu free to use.
  • For the ability to make it work.
  • For computers and all the marvelous things we can do with them.

No comments: